Learning Disability Service
We provide a combined Care at Home and Housing Support service to people with learning disabilities in Duns.
Learning Disability Service, Station Avenue, Duns
Our service is registered with the Care Inspectorate who ensure that the support we provide meets regulatory standards. You are supported by a dedicated, professional staff team on site, who are registered with the Scottish Social Services Council. Our team can visit you in your own home in and around the Duns area through an (outreach) service.
Our support staff will work with you to maximise your independence supporting you with personal care, healthcare needs and medication, support to manage physical disabilities, support with paying bills and with day to day finances. We will also provide personalised support to assist you to take part in social activities out with your home and in the community.
Station Avenue consists of six self-contained bungalows, providing a mix of individual and shared tenancies, and is situated close to the Duns Health Centre, and not too far from the centre of Duns, with its shops, chemist and other facilities.
- Our six high quality homes have built-in assistive technology, personalised to meet our service users’ individual needs
- a mix of personalised, adapted bathroom facilities including wet rooms, showers and baths
- If you are in a shared tenancy you have en-suite facilities as well as access to a shared bathroom equipped with hoists for easy access
- all homes have dedicated laundry facilities
- shared homes have communal lounge and kitchen/dining facilities
- All homes are surrounded by beautiful and well-maintained gardens
You are supported by a dedicated, professional staff team on site, who are registered with the Scottish Social Services Council.
Our support staff work with you to maximise your independence using a range of person-centred approaches to:
- helping with organising meaningful support plans (StoriiCare)
- personal care
- healthcare needs and medication
- managing physical disabilities
- paying bills and with day to day finances
- integrating you into the community
- maintaining and developing relationships
- attending appointments and meetings
- holidays or to access respite
- accessing independent and financial help as required
- managing challenging
We provide a Housing Support and Care at Home service from our base at our Station Avenue in Duns.
Registered with the Care Inspectorate, this service is available to anyone with a learning disability through staff visiting service users in their own homes in or around Duns, whether they are a tenant with us or not.
The keys to life strategy recognises that people who have a learning disability have the same aspirations and expectations as everyone else and is guided by a vision shaped by the Scottish Government’s ambition for all citizens. This strategy is central to how we design and deliver our learning disability services, working in partnership with our tenants and service users, and their support networks. Find out more.